Friday, June 29, 2012

I'm the curling master!

Hey guys! My 10 day work stretch is finally over and I can't wait to hit the beach for a few days! I'm so pale that I could pass as a Cullen from Twilight, so i'm really happy i'll finally have time to work on my tan! I hope you all had a great week and have great plans for the weekend.

Grace in full hair & makeup for Senior portraits
The other day, I did my friend Grace's makeup for her senior portraits (she's in my Makeup Transformation post). She asked me to do her hair for the pictures too and of course I said yes because i'm always up for a challenge. I have done people's hair before, but never for anything major. I have NO hair training whatsoever, so I was a little nervous but like I said - i'm game for almost anything when it comes to the beauty community. I used to think that the trick to keeping your hair in curls was hairspray... lots of hairspray. As I have educated myself online and with magazines, I now realize that tons of hairspray is unnecessary. As long as you know how to work a curling iron, the curls will stay!

Okay, so i'm not going to take you guys through the makeup process because that's obviously not new to me. That being said, if you like the makeup look featured in the picture, leave a comment or e-mail me and I will tell you what products I used and how to achieve the look! The first step in this hair process was to part the hair at the crown of the head. What I do is start at the temples and move around to the back of the head, then I put the hair on the top in a bun or a clip to keep it out of the way. My favorite curling iron to use is a wand that I got from one of those stands in the mall. It heats up quick and makes the curls last all day. I also like that there is no clamp because I think it's easier and quicker without one.

I typically curl smaller sections towards the face and larger sections towards the back because I just think it looks better that way. The sections usually go from about 1 inch to 1 & 1/2 inches so they're not drastically different, but I think it makes a difference in the long run. My friend's hairdresser taught me a trick when it comes to curling hair. By doing it the way she explained to me, you will achieve a Kardashian style look as opposed to a Shirley Temple look. First, you start the curl about 2 inches from the scalp - this will make the curls have a looser feel. It's important to make sure that you keep the hair flat as you wrap it around the curling iron. If you twist the hair, the curls will be small and springy instead of loose and glamorous. I also like to end the curl about an inch from the end of the piece of hair that you are curling. As the curls cool, I hairspray them and when I've finished curling the whole head I brush through all of the curls one by one.

Brushing through the curls may sound insane to some people, but it makes the curls look so loose and pretty. I use a round nylon brush and I just start at the top of the curl and follow all the way through the curl. This immediately adds to the length of the curl and definitely produces a Kardashian-like effect. This process may sound complicated, but I promise it's so easy and so worth it. I was super pleased with how Grace's hair and makeup came out and I will definitely be using this curling method more often because it turned out amazing! If you would like to see a video tutorial of my curling method, leave me a comment or shoot me and e-mail at glitterocity@gmail.com. Everyone have an amazing weekend and be sure to put on sunblock and stay hydrated if you'll be out in the sun! Love you all!



Peace, Love, & Glitter
Catherine

No comments:

Post a Comment