Tuesday, June 26, 2012

NOH8 photo shoot with my best friends!

Me, Jimmy, and Maci
Hi everyone, I hope you all are having an amazing week. I have been working non-stop & I have two more days of work to go until i'm off :) Anyway, this post is not really makeup related, but it does include something that is close to my heart. A couple of months ago, my friends and I went to a photo shoot for the NOH8 Campaign. For those of you who don't know, this campaign was created in response to Proposition 8 in California. It is said to be a silent protest to the proposition which bans gay marriage. I myself am not gay, but some of my friends are and it hurts my heart that they do not have the same rights that everyone else does. They did not choose who they were going to love and it is so unfair that this kind of harsh judgement is allowed to still occur.

I love the idea of these photos because it represents how people have been silenced because of this law. It also shows everyone that it is not acceptable to hate anyone no matter what they look like or what their sexual orientation is. I come from a very Christian family, so even though I strongly support gay marriage - my parents have a different view point. That being said, they still accept people for who they are even if that person is gay.

Me and Maci
This was not my first NOH8 shoot. A couple of years ago, I did one too and both times were completely amazing. To me, these photo shoots are so inspiring because you get to witness people coming together for something important. Not everyone that is there is gay, and that's the cool thing. Even if you are not being affected by something personally, just acknowledging that others are suffering is a big societal step in my opinion. I will forever support gay marriage and equal rights for everyone. The government should not have the right to tell people who they can and cannot love... all I can hope for is that more people open their minds and start pushing for equal rights.


If you have any questions, e-mail me at glitterocity@gmail.com & if you want to see when the next NOH8 photo shoot in your area is, you can visit the website here.




Peace, :Love, Glitter, & Equal Rights for ALL,
Catherine

No comments:

Post a Comment